​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Congratulations to Kentucky Architects Licensed by Examination!
During the last year, the following individuals were licensed as architects by the Kentucky Board of Architects. They have recently met the requirements of KRS 323 and KAR 201, Chapter 19, specifically 1) a NAAB accredited professional degree from a school or college of architecture, 2) successful completion of the NCARB Architectural Experience Program, and 3) successful passage of the Architect Registration Examination administered by NCARB.

License Renewals

Your Kentucky architect license is based on a fiscal year term, running from July 1st through June 30th of each fiscal year. Your current license expires on Friday, June 30, 2024, at 11:59 PM. In order to expedite the renewal process the Kentucky Board provides two means of renewing your license for the upcoming fiscal year term. These methods will apply if you are renewing an active license, voluntarily surrendering (requesting inactive status) your license as per KRS 323.110(2), or requesting or renewing Emeritus Architect status (if you meet the requirements of 201 KAR 19:087, Section 3 (1)(b)).

The first and most efficient renewal method is our on-line renewal process. By using the on-line renewal, you can complete the process within a few minutes, pay by check or credit card and print your own wallet card and receipt, thus insuring you submit your renewal information and fee in a timely and efficient manner. To access and begin the on-line renewal, follow the link below. You will be required to enter your Kentucky license number and the last four digits of your social security number in order to access and complete your renewal.

Online License Renewal

The second method is available primarily for those not having access to a computer and our website. The licensee will be required to send an email to to request a Kentucky License Renewal Form be mailed or emailed direct to them for completion and submittal to the Board Office by mail or land carrier along with a check for the applicable fee payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer. This method does not permit payment by credit card. This delivery method will by necessity require the most time to get your license renewal to the Board. A wallet card and receipt will be returned to the licensee following processing by Board staff. If you have any questions call (859)246-2069.

Important to Know

In all methods it is the responsibility of each individual licensee to insure that an accurately completed renewal form with the correct fee is received in the Board's office in a timely manner on or before the due date in order to avoid late fees or revocation. The Board assumes no responsibility for deliveries received after the close of business on the due date or that mailed to the wrong address. Renewals received either online or in the Board office on or before June 30th will require only the renewal fee of $125.00. Those renewals received on July 1st and no later than July 31st will be accessed a $25.00 late fee in addition to the renewal fee of $125.00. Those renewals received on or after August 1st and no later than August 31st will be accessed a $50.00 late fee in addition to the renewal fee of $125.00. The licenses of those licensees not renewing or having submitted renewals received on or after August 31st will be automatically revoked administratively.

Additionally, it is the licensee's responsibility to insure that all contact information is current with the Board office. There is an administrative fee of twenty-five (25) dollars for failure to notify the board of change of an address, telephone number, email address or employment within thirty (30) days of the change (ref: 201 KAR 19:085, Section 2(10)).

Due Date Received Total Fees
On or before June 30th$125.00
On July 1st and no later than July 31st$150.00
On August 1st and no later than August 31st$175.00
On August 31st or afterLicense Revocation

Emeritus Architect fees are $50. Similar late fees and due dates apply.​ 

​Architects - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am a licensed architect in another state; how do I acquire my license in Kentucky?

A: You must have an active National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) Certificate to request reciprocity with the Commonwealth of Kentucky. To authorize NCARB to transmit your Record, go to MY NCARB, log in with your credentials and select; ​​Request a Transmittal; to access instructions on transmitting your Record to Kentucky.
The KY Board of Architects requires the following when applying for reciprocity:
1. Your NCARB Record – Request your Record from NCARB using the online transmittal request.
2. Once the transmittal process is complete, you should receive an email that looks like the picture below:
 Example email from NCARB after Transmittal
3. If you are logged into your MyNCARB account click on My NCARB link in step 1 which should bring you to the page pictured below: 
 Location of the Uniform Application Under KY Requiremetns

4.You should then be able to download and complete the Uniform Application. 
5. Once you have completed the application, please visit the BOA Payment Portal to upload your completed Uniform Application and pay the $200 Architect Application fee. Your reciprocity application will be reviewed after we receive your NCARB file.
If you cannot access your NCARB account online or need assistance with your request, please contact
Q: I have an architectural degree from a college; may I use the word architect in my title?
A: People licensed in Kentucky as Registered Architects (RA) are the only ones who can legally call themselves an architect. Without having a license, one is technically and legally not an architect and cannot use the word architect in a title or description tending to convey the impression that they are an architect.
Q: What is the practice of Architecture?
The practice of architecture is the rendering or offering to render certain services in connection with the design and construction of a structure or group of structures which have as their principal purpose human habitation or use, and the utilization of space within and surrounding such structures. The services include planning, providing preliminary studies, designs, drawings and specifications, and administration of construction contracts.

Q: What is Contract Administration?
Administration of construction contracts means:

  • Conducting periodic site visits;
  • Reviewing shop drawings and reviewing other submittals required of the contractor by the terms of the construction contract documents;
  • Reporting to the owner any violations of applicable building codes and any substantial deviations from the contract documents that the architect observes; or
  • Reporting to the building official any violations of applicable building codes that the architect observes.

Q: Is a license required before starting a project in Kentucky?
Except as otherwise provided in KRS 323.031 or KRS 323.033, no person shall practice architecture in the Commonwealth of Kentucky without first obtaining a license under the provisions of KRS 323, its purpose being to safeguard the life, health, property and welfare of the public. Further, only persons licensed under KRS 323 may be styled or known as architects in Kentucky, or use any words or letters or assume any titles or description rending to convey the impression that they are architects. This would include erroneous references in proposals or marketing efforts.

Q: What buildings require the services of Architects?
Refer to KRS 323.033 buildings require the services of Architects​   

Q: What are frequently used abbreviations?
Frequently used abbreviations include:

  • ARE® - Architect Registration Examination®
  • NCARB - National Council for Architectural Registration Boards
  • AXP - Architectural Experience Program (Formally known as IDP - Intern Development Program)
  • CCEH - Continuing Education Hours (Formally known as PDU -Professional Development Unit)
  • KRS - Kentucky Revised Statutes
  • KAR - Kentucky Administrative Regulation
  • NAAB - National Architectural Accrediting Board
  • CID - Kentucky Certified Interior Designer (same as KYCID)
  • IPAL - Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure
  • HSW - Health, Safety, and Welfare (ref: 201 KAR 19:087, Section 1(3))

Q: When is my architectural renewal license due?
June 30 of each calendar year.

Q: How much is my annual renewal fee?
$125 annually

Q: Is continuing education required for architects?
Yes. 12 Continuing Education Hours (CEH) are required as a condition for the annual license renewal. The requirement for the CEH for the annual renewal shall be acquired during the period beginning January 1 and ending December 31 of the previous calendar year. A minimum of 12 CEH shall consist of structured educational activities on relevant topics addressing health, safety, and welfare subjects as referenced in 201 KAR 19:087, Section 1(3).

Q: How do I obtain a list of Architects?
  For a list of Architects, please contact the Board office at (859) 246-2069.


Statutes & Administrative Regulations

KRS (KRS 323)


Additional Resources

View the roster of Architects by name, city, state, or license number.​​​​

: Architects